Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: syslog (WAS: chroot'ed environment?)

From: Urban.Kaveus () edt ericsson se (Urban)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 14:32:21 +0200 (METDST)

Actually, it is exactly what I have done yesterday. It is pretty easy (check the
INET_SYSLOG define from BSD's libc/syslog.c) and it works very well. I didnt
have to change anything from what I installed previously. (syslogd, /dev/syslog
or whatever.)

I didnt like very much the idea of putting /dev/syslog in the ftp area,
so I choose to do this.

The only thing that bothers me is that I didnt want syslogd to listen on its
UDP port, but i guess I will just check the address of the incoming packets
against the loopback address. (Didn't try that yet, thougth.)

Marc.

More than a year ago I picked up this hack on the TIS fwtk maillist.
It disables the TIS syslogd from listening to the UDP port.

Urban Kaveus
LM Ericsson Data AB

-------------------------------------->8-------------

   *** syslogd.c.by_uka    Thu Jan  5 18:34:38 1995
   --- syslogd.c.original  Sat Nov  5 00:30:58 1994
   ***************
   *** 311,322 ****
           (void) signal(SIGHUP, init);

           for (;;) {
   -
   - /* Changed 940225 by Urban K. Do not read anything from the network
                   int nfds, readfds = FDMASK(funix) | inetm | klogm;
   - */
   -
   -               int nfds, readfds = FDMASK(funix) | klogm;

                   errno = 0;
                   dprintf("readfds = %#x\n", readfds);
   --- 311,317 ----