Bugtraq mailing list archives

sendmail alternative?

From: rthomas () pamd cig mot com (Robert Owen Thomas)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 09:27:25 -0500

having seen many a post regarding sendmail vulnerabilities, perhaps an
alternative for sendmail should be considered.  how about smail?

i have found smail to be simple to configure, easy to debug, as well as
both durable and secure.  although there are a few particularly noxious
security holes, i have patched all (simple fixes) and have yet to happen
upon any more.

now i am not going to say that smail is 100% secure.  nor will i say that
smail is necessarily better.  site requirements will dictate that. i run
sendmail, smail, and (groan) MMDF at miscellaneous sites.  rather, i think
it is important that admins realize there *is* an alternative.

the security holes were posted here some time ago.  check the archives for
more information.  you may obtain smail (latest version is 3.1.29) from:
               ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/.8/mail/ta/smail/
               ftp://convex.convex.com/pub/smail/
               ftp://cs.orst.edu/pub/src/comm/network/

not looking to start a religious war about MTA's,
--robert
--

o  robert owen thomas: unix consultant. cymro ydw i. user scratching post.  o
o       e-mail: Robert.Thomas () pamd cig mot com --or-- robt () cymru com        o