Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY HOLE: FormMail

From: cwe () Csli Stanford EDU (Christian Wettergren)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 16:44:05 -0700

| Just to be helpful, the way to do it more safely, without massive
| need for checking is to build a complete mail message, including
| header, and hand that to "sendmail -t" which then reads the recipient
| information out of the constructed header.  [Sendmail should of course
| be an invocation of smail or pp, not the BSD program of that name,
| given the history of problems that has had]

I suspect this still wont take care of emails to pipes or files,
i.e  <|/bin/sh> or </.rhosts>, it is a legitimate, albeit unexpected,
mail-command going to sendmail. So unless these two mode are totally
stripped out of the sendmail, there will exist a vulnerability there,
wont it?

A picture:

                     +--------+
                     +--------+  recipient. Content <|/bin/sh>.)
                        ||                (outside)
                        ||                (inside, running as nobody)
                       //
                      //
                   +-----+ (funneling to CGI script AnyForm)
                   +-----+            |Scrpt| Creates body + headers
                              //======|     | recipient <|/bin/sh>
                             //       +-----+ turns into To: <|/bin/sh>
                             || Body sent to sendmail
                         +-----+
    Sendmail discovers   |send-| ... spawns a shell that is fed the body.
    a legitimate req for |mail |=====+--------+
    piped exec of mail-  +-----+     |  o o   | Disaster Deamon (tm)
    body, and ....                   |   ^    | strikes again!

(Ps. This is true multimedia, but without the glossy surface! :-))

I don't know about smail and pp though. The key here is however that
it is _legitimate_ requests for _features_ that is the problem, not
any bugs. (I usually phrase this as thought-of "pure" data that is
actually containing meta-data syntax escapes.)

/Christian Wettergren