Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: snooper watchers

From: casper () fwi uva nl (Casper Dik)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 22:53:21 +0100

I'm doing some work for a client who has had some suggestions that they
run a program to watch the state of ifconfig, and send mail if the
interface ever goes promiscuous.  This works just fine under SunOS 4.x,
however, their concern is that this does not appear to work for Solaris 2.x.
I have noticed that snoop in promiscuous mode does not affect the
status from ifconfig, so the current method for looking for a
promiscuous interface wont do them any good.  I'll be looking into
this, but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has done something
like this.  (I haven't seen a snooper for 2.x like the SunOS one, but with
tools like snoop, I assume that one is in the works someplace.)

What works under Solaris 2.x is using lsof on the network pseudo
devices.  It will show you all the snoopers, but not whether the
interface is promiscuous or not.  The same method also works under
SunOS 4.1.x.

BTW, snoopers for Solaris 2.x do exist and are out there.

Casper