Bugtraq mailing list archives

Lotus Notes (was Re: Sendmail Fixkit)

From: mjb () sophos com (Matthew J Brown)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 12:17:30 +0100 (GMT)

I haven't looked at the fixkit myself yet, but if it disallows '/' in
addresses, it's going to cause problems with more than X.400.  For
example, the increasingly-popular Lotus SMTP gateway for Lotus Notes puts
slashes into addresses of users with hierarchical certifiers, eg

Joe_User/Sales/Acme/US.acmeinc@notes.gateway

You don't *absolutely* have to output icky names like this to the world,
however; our outgoing gateway rewrites the addresses to
<initials>@sophos.com.  All users here except me do their mail through
Notes.  The only way to do this, however, is OS/2 Sendmail sendmail.cf
hackery.  (yes, the Lotus Notes SMTP Gateway is a bag on the side of
OS/2 sendmail).  It's an ancient version of sendmail, too; there isn't
even support for database macros to do this (more) cleanly.

I personally find it worrying that the Notes smtp gateway won't run on
anything except OS/2 (whose TCP/IP implementation seems to be very flaky)
and absolutely requires OS/2's sendmail instead of having its own
SMTP thing (surely it can't have been too difficult to write their own?),
and even more so that OS/2 sendmail is based on an ancient UNIX version,
no doubt with all the known bugs.  The damn thing falls over at least
once a day, too, takes an *age* to page back in every time it gets swapped,
and is basically a *lot* of trouble.

-Matt