Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: A (possibly) better way to get input integrity

From: roessler () sobolev cologne de (Thomas Roessler)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 01:14:25 +0100 (MET)

der Mouse wrote:
 I disagree about some of those.  High-half characters (128-255), which
 is presumably what you mean by "8-bit bytes", are necessary if you are
 to be taken seriously outside the USA.  Not everyone finds ASCII
 sufficient, y'know.  *I* certainly am not about to be the one to tell
 some French postmaster sie can't set up a mail alias "inouo" just
 because someone on the other side of the pond decided character 0xef
 (Latin-1 i-diaeresis) was somehow less safe than character 0x69
 (Latin-1, and ASCII, i).

Well, RFCs 822 and 1522 don't allow anything but US-ASCII inside headers,
Latin-1 special characters are not allowed in email addresses. The only
thing where such characters may show up is in real names (and comments),
but there they must be encoded in some MIMEish way (cf. RFC 1522).

Thomas

--
roessler () indi5 iam uni-bonn de * roessler () sobolev cologne de

Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying
as an income tax refund.
                -- F. J. Raymond