Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Disabling SunOS kernel module loading (Was: Re: Anti Hijacking tools)

From: Mark.Graff () Eng Sun COM ( Mark Graff )
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 16:35:00 -0800

On the subject of disabling kernel module loading on SunOS 4.1.x:
several people asked me what the side effects of this might be. I
researched it; and the answer appears to be that what the user gives
up, so far as supported vendor software, is the ability to run
OpenWindows with the "-nosunview" option.

That is, if you disable loadmodule, or modload, or the loading of
modules, the kernel will not be able to load keyboard and mouse
drivers on the fly that the server usually relies on the sunview
code to supply.

I haven't tried this on SunOS 5.x but my expectation would be that
Solaris 2.3 would act the same as 4.1.x, and later versions would
barf altogether.

-mg-