Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Need source routing prog

From: glaze () rclsgi eng ohio-state edu (Larry Glaze)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 08:58:48 -0500 (EST)

David Miller wrote:

| I'm looking to test attacks based on source routing, and it would really
| help to have an IP program that source routes:)
|
| Any suggestions for DOS/windows IP?

How could Mr. Miller (or anybody else, like myself) establish a legitimate
need for such a program in order to test for problems on his local network?

--
Bill Nickless              nickless () mcs anl gov               +1 708 252 7390
PGP 2.6.2 Key fingerprint =  0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52  E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7

Well, some of us are not programming guru's who know the ins and outs of unix
codes.  I myself fall into that group.  I have only been doing system
administration for about 2 or so years now and only 6 months of that has been
since I graduated college.  The only real programming experience I have is in
Modula-2 (talk about worthless) so the easiest way for me to understand exactly
how a hole can be exploited and what needs to be done to fix it is to get a
program that exploits the hole and then go through the code of the program and
find out what it is doing.  So there is what I feel is a legitimate need.
Besides, who are we to decide who is worthy of an expliot and who is not.  If
you don't want to give someone a particular package then don't and don't go
tell the rest of the list not to either.  Otherwise give the person what they
want.

BTW, anyone know where I can get the 'nfsbugs' package.  I want to see if it
can guess our NFS file handles.  And if you really don't trust me then
telnet to rclsgi.eng.ohio-state.edu or rclsgi[1-46].eng.ohio-state.edu port 25
and expn root and you will see my name.  Proof enough that I at least have
valid root access?

Larry
--
Larry Glaze                                           The Ohio State University
Systems Analyst 2                                Engineering Computing Services