Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IP spoofing vs tcp wrappers and netacl

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 13:46:12 -0500

Christopher Klaus says:
Probably the best way to prevent IP spoofing attacks is to turn off all
ip-based authenication services, ie rsh, rlogin are the main ones.

Insufficient. If you can see at least part of the packet stream, you
can session-steal. This makes a mockery of things like S/Key.

If you have an attacker that is listening to your packet stream, you
have more serious problem than just IP spoofing attacks.

Well, I'm afraid that judicious use of the protocols can under some
circumstances be enough knock just a couple of packets your way if you
are pretty sure a link exists, and thats all you need to steal the
connection. Given the way that the internet works, this is a problem
for anyone traversing a firewall with a system like SNK, S/Key, Secure
ID, or whatever, because their session could be hijacked after the fact.

The only long-term solution that would adequately fix many of these
problems is cryptography being implemented in authenication and encrypting
all network traffic.

That is indeed the case. As I've noted, see draft-metzger-* in the
nearest internet drafts directory for details on how to do that. I
should be releasing an implementation for 4.4BSD kernels under a
Berkeley style copyright.

Perry