Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: preventing sequence number guessing

From: tdarcos () access digex net (Paul Robinson)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 11:56:20 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 28 Jan 1995, der Mouse wrote:

instead of using tcp_iss directly for the SYN ...send MD5(tcp_iss)
So it takes about 7 u-seconds to MD5 hash a small block on a...
Perhaps not.  MD5 has relatively high overhead; that is, in the
formula, "overhead" is comparatively large[%].... MD5's actual cost
is more liketime = constant * round_up(bytes+9,64)

Anyone care to do a real-time test?  Generate some random strings of
varying length, including some one-byte responses, until you have some
large number, say, 10000 of these strings.  Randomly assign some to one
side, so that maybe one side has 1000 outgoing strings and 9000 incoming,
then have an MD5 checksum done in which the program generates a checksum
for each line, sends it, then after, say, 10 lines, sends a message the
other way.

Now, do this for two cases: no checksum and for MD5 checksum.  Now,
report the difference in speed on your machine.

I'm thinking of trying it on my 386/40 here.  Is the MD5 code printed in
one of the RFCs from 1919-1925 (it's in one of those) the same code
generally being considered, or is the program as used with, say, the
"md5" command on the Sun Unix box I call into get mail here something
different?   If it is the same, I can do a simulated telnet session and
see what I get.