Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CERT Advisory CA-95:02.binmail.vulnerabilities

From: neil () legless demon co uk (Neil Woods)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 13:15:26 +0100 (GMT)

The CERT Coordination Center thanks Eric Allman, Wolfgang Ley, Karl
Strickland, Wietse Venema, and Neil Woods for their contributions to
mail.local.

Last billing there Neil, though I note its in alphabetical order. It
does seem a little thick headed that cert, in its wisdom, did not simply
refer people to several 8lgm advisories already on the subject. As for the
"mail.local" not been perfect - what are they advising? the installation of
something less that perfect as far as root-bugs are concerned?

      "But mom, I'm only a little bit pregnant"

From my examinations of mail.local, its fine unless you can write to the mail
spool directory. If you can, then its raceable.

I know of no problems with the mail.local code provided, I'd advise anyone
with sunos/ultrix boxes to use it.  I wouldn't trust any patch provided
by either DEC or SUN at this moment in time.  I haven't looked at any
other available src, so I can't recommend anything else.

Even with a mode 777 spool directory, this code is secure (IMHO 8).  If
anyone thinks otherwise, then please post a description of why you
believe it is so, a script isn't necessary.

As our names are on the advisory, I guess you can take that as a seal of
approval.

Cheers,

Neil
--
Let the Mystery Be, So Watcha Want, Longing In Their Hearts, Hate My Way,
M-Bike, Safari, Uncle June and Aunt Kiyoti, Daisy Dead Petals, Tuff Gnarl.

     ...like a badger with an afro throwing sparklers at the Pope...