Bugtraq mailing list archives

/dev/kmem: Permission denied

From: C.M.Bulle () LaRC NASA GOV (Chris Bulle)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 09:29:32 -0500

der Mouse writes:
When I run top or rsh into this or other machines, I get something
like:

top: cannot open /dev/kmem: Permission denied
kvm_open: Permission denied

I'm worried I've been screwed.  Permissions on /dev/kmem (Which
points to /devices/pseudo/mm@0:kmem) are:

crw-r-----   1 root     sys       13,  1 Oct 25 11:33 mm@0:kmem
crw-r-----   1 root     sys       13,  0 Oct 25 11:33 mm@0:mem

/dev/mem and /dev/kmem are normally group kmem, not group sys.  At
least on any system I've ever looked at, which I mercifully has not
included Solaris yet.

Under Solaris 2.3 and 2.4 the default group is sys.  Make sure top is
grouped sys as well.  If you took it off your SunOS, it's probably
not.

                                                Chris

                                Email: C.M.Bulle () LaRC NASA GOV
                                Info:  whois -h larc.nasa.gov C.M.Bulle