Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CRACK for PCs?

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:41:01 -0500

Robert Moskowitz says:
A colleague came to me yesterday asking for a copy of CRACK for PCs to demo
its use to test out the 'quality' of a user selected password.  She needs
this for next Wednesday.

I suspect that you don't really need CRACK for this but instead could
simply use a script that checks the selected password's quality before
it is encrypted, assuming that I read the application right. A perl
script to do this is an extended example in the Perl book by Larry
Wall. You can find the code for all the examples in the book on
ftp.uu.net, and I believe there is a Perl available for PCs, so that
would more or less handle the problem for you guys.

Perry