Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: password backdoors

From: rrasmus () sdt com (Randy Rasmussen)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 08:27:46 -0500

Dear all,

On the subject of back doors. I have an old Apollo box
running Domain 10.4.1
and lost the password for root, the only account. I could
not get back in and in the end had to re-install as I could
not break in. A short time later I told this story to the
HP service engineer who said that I should have given him a ring
as they have a way to get in ! He would not tell me anything
about how this would be done.

Can anyone enlighten me further into how this would be
done and if such back doors exist in other operating
systems.

Thanks.

Lyndon

I have ran in to that problem on a solaris machine before.
And I am guessing that it can be done on an HP also.?!
What you do is boot to a cdrom (like you are going to install it)
and then openwindows will come up (in root), then you just
open up a cmdtool like any other time, mount /etc to /mnt or /a
and then edit the passwd file, reboot and you are back to normal.

Randy
  /             I'm off like a prom dress ®         \
  | Randy L. Rasmussen        American Airlines     |
  | rrasmus () sdt com           4333 Amon Carter Blvd |
  | Phone : (817)967-9242     MD 5547,              |
  | FAX   : (817)773-0833     Fort Worth, TX 76155  |