Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Telnet attack on SGI

From: jmason () iona ie (Justin Mason)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 12:27:04 +0000

Douglas Siebert says:

There are two ways I know of to protect against this attack until SGI has a
patch ready.  One would be to write a wrapper that removes "dangerous"
environment variables.  Obviously, figuring out which ones are dangerous is
the trick!  Certainly anything that starts LD_ or _RLD should be removed.  But
there may always be others you don't know about.

There are a profusion of various *LD* environment variables to watch
out for on each different platform, along with other similar dodgy
vars; every time a vendor comes out with a major release, a new
LD_whatever var seems to be created. :( I think a little firewall
philosophy should be used here, namely deny unless explicitly
permitted.

Anyway, most env vars are not portable across a network, unless you've
got a pretty homogenous lan; for example, in my environment I've got
XMBINDDIR, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH, ftp_proxy, http_proxy, XAPPLRESDIR,
XBMLANGPATH, PGPPATH, PATH and OSTYPE.  If all these env vars suddenly
got propagated to, for example, my login at my old university, most of
them would be useless, or even disruptive in their effects.

The env vars that spring to mind as being useful accross a network are:
TZ, DISPLAY and TERM. Of course, to allow future enhancements, this
should be a configurable option for the telnetd.

Opinions?

--j.