Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: a point is being missed

From: scott () Disclosure COM (Scott Barman)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 10:40:36 -0500

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, Doug Hughes wrote:

(actually, he didn't write this part but I lost the attribution!):
This recently drove a co-worker and I to the brink of insanity when we
tried statically linking "ls" for our anonymous FTP site on a Solaris
2.4 machine.

Seems like Solaris won't be able to handle this then, no?

Just a quick note: According to a friend who works for Sun, this is not
"fixed."  In fact, they do not consider it a problem!  And my local Sun
rep is wondering why I am steering a client toward HP machines rather
than waiting for 2.5 or the UltraSparc (HPUX 10, to be released soon,
is supposed to be fully SVR4 compatable, which is a requirement for my
client).

Note: this doesn't fix other problems with no version of static
libresolv library, but this should be easy enough to get with
the bind code and linked in, and possibly be an even better resolv
then the one on the system to begin with.

Get the BSD-based named and port the library from that.  It took a day
for me to do, but it was worth it!!  Not only that, you get the latest
named free from any of NIS's shackles!

I think you can get a copy from ftp.cs.berkeley.edu or it might be under
Paul Vixie's directory on gatekeeper.dec.com (my preference).

 doug () eng auburn edu                    Auburn University

scott barman
--
scott barman                  DISCLAIMER: I speak to anyone who will listen,
scott () disclosure com                      and I speak only for myself.