Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [SECURITY VULNERABILITY] lmgrd startup script

From: djve () deakin edu au (David Evans)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:05:23 +1000

 "Paul M. Cardon" wrote:
Look at how lmgrd is started through /etc/rc2.d/S85lmgrd:

                $licdir/${lmgrd} -c $licdir/$licfile >> /tmp/license_log 2>&1
&

Granted the distribution is like this. It makes sense as often people
have problems when they first start using Flex Licence Manager. (Well
I certainly did, and still do, as it is months between needing to touch
it. )

Setting it to /tmp makes sense as you don't want to keep the logs
while you're setting it up. In our final version we set a umask, the
output is sent to /var/log, and we set a very restrictive path.

I don't see this as a bug. I do think there should be better documentation
about the licence daemon and how it works.

[ text deleted ]

However, the convention is not followed by the SUNWlicsw package which instal
ls the startup script directly to /etc/rc2.d instead of /etc/init.d

-paul

In fact if you checked there is a copy in /etc/init.d. But it does write
to /etc/rc2.d directly. As there is a copy in /etc/init.d how is the
convention not followed? All the copies of the SUNWlicsw or SUNWste
packages I've installed have placed a script in both places. So I just
replace the rc?.d items with symbolic links and check the script in
init.d is appropriate.

David Evans