Bugtraq mailing list archives

Irix NFS fun

From: foowan () alpha pulsar net (Foowan)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:42:09 -0500

TBN security update courtesy of foowan

The other day while I was watching TV and eating a donut, I decided that it was a perfect time to start looking for
world exportable drives that I could mount. I came across a beautiful SGI workstation running Irix 6.2 that had the
following exportable drives.

/something/woo          visualmachines

to make a long story short, I decided to mount it anyway. It worked, and I was
happy. It just so happens, however, that I was kinda close to the admin that was in charge of running these boxes (

so i decided to be a good person and tell him about what I had done, and let him have the 18 accounts (plus the
LIcenseManager sploit) that had fallin into my lap during this journey. he kept saying over and over again that I had
not mounted it, that it was impossible, etc etc. he understood that there was a problem with the way NFS was handling
the mount situation, so he decided to call SGI and inquire about it.

they said (keep in mind that _I_ didn't talk to them) something to the effect of "blah blah, unreported, blah blah, we
will look into it, blah blah"

so i am not positive whether this is a new problem or an old one, but in order to rectify the situation, he has made
none of the drives exportable for the time being.

if anyone has heard/seen anything about this, I would appreciate the info

foowan