Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IMAPD security problems ?

From: Ian_MacPhedran () MACKENZIE USASK CA (Ian MacPhedran)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 16:18:10 -0600

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Zvi Bar-Deroma wrote:
One or 2 months ago there were some discussions concerning possible
vulnerabilities in POPd (+ a suggestion for a "safe" server). I wonder
whether these (or any other) vulnerabilities are known to exist in IMAP
(specifically the version available from the uni. of Washington, home of
"pine"). I did check that a "simple" simulated crack fails - after 3 bad
pw's the connection is closed and one has to reconnect.

/Zvika

Well, I'm not sure if you'd count this a vulnerability or not, but IMAPD
will allow users to read any files via their mailreader that they have
permission to read. (E.g. they can see the /etc/passwd file on your mail
server.) This might be a potential problem for places where they don't
allow interactive logins, and feel that people can't see files because of
that restriction.

Ian.
Ian MacPhedran,    Engineering Computer Centre,   2B13 Engineering Building,
University of Saskatchewan,  57 Campus Drive,  Saskatoon SK  S7N 5A9, CANADA
Phone: (306)966-4832 Fax: (306)966-5205  Email: Ian_MacPhedran () engr USask CA