Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: rdist exploit [bsdi]

From: sysman () homer bus miami edu (System Manager)
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 18:23:11 -0400

Confirmed on our FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE box.

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, jaeger wrote:

Here is a quick bsd/os (should work in freebsd too, I believe) exploitation
script for the rdist buffer overflow vulnerbility.

    Confirmed for FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE, 2.2-960501-SNAP and
2.2-960601-SNAP.  Haven't tried it with the 2.1.5 release stream yet.

It did NOT work on a friend's FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE box. I guess it
depends on the configuration and if the admin has done any other patching.

        The exploit must be compiled with no optimization or it throws off
the hardcoded offsets.  It indeed works on a 2.1.0-RELEASE machine.  Verify
that your friend's rdist is SUID and not a replacement package of some sort.

-jaeger