Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: at the risk of another flamefest..

From: mcn () EnGarde com (Mike Neuman)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 23:33:24 -0500

Eugene Bradley <ebradley () andromeda rutgers edu> writes:

on Jul 16, Peter Jeremy <jeremyp () gsms01 alcatel com au> writes:

# I disagree.  Whilst perl at the script level hides array-bounds problems
# from the user, it is not a panacea.  Firstly, the interpreter itself is
# written in C - thus it is possible that the interpreter itself may suffer
# from an array-bounds problem.

If this is is the case, couldn't Larry Wall et al. recompile
perl 5 using the above gcc patches?  Granted the newly-patched perl
interpreter would be a bit slower to compile code, but personally
I'd rather take the slowness than to have tons of array bounds problems
in my code.

  To fan the flames a bit, I find it amazing that people are complaining
that C is at fault for their lousy programming...

  In any case, to add yet another level of indirection to the above argument,
Mr. Bradley is forgetting that Unix itself is written in C. As a result, perl
may have no bound problems, and so will the resulting compiled perl code, but
the operating system itself could still have problems (a la syslog() ).

-Mike
mcn () EnGarde com