Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: hpux 10.0 remote administration

From: mharrigan () cisco com (Matthew G. Harrigan)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 01:55:56 -0700

At 12:02 AM 7/16/96 -0600, you wrote:

Hmmm. I have a hpux (10.01) box here. I took a brief look at it and
a) can't see where the default (or any password) is used,
nor b) see where sam_exec is used.

Is sam_exec an executable
or a system call?

sam_exec is a user created via rsh when a machine is added to the the
administration cluster on that machine.
You would see an entry in your password file
like: sam_exec:YosemiteEncrypted:0:1:....

If you only have one hpux machine, then you most likely are not
remotely administrating another one. Unless of course you have
alterior motives :).

The documentation mentions a few things have
been completely revised in 10.x re remote clusters etc, so if you
could tell me precisely to look for these problems, I'll tell you
if theyre still around

You might want to try adding your machine to the cluster list of itself.
I.E. - go into sam, and say "Remotely administrate yourself, mr. machine."
It should ask you for your root passwd once, and then go in and add sam_exec
to your passwd file. If you so this, and you get these results, please post
them to this list.

Thanks,

Matt
 Matthew G. Harrigan            |cisco Systems
 Internet Systems Engineer      |mharrigan () cisco com
"640K ought to be enough for    |Email Pager:
 anybody. " - Bill Gates, 1981  |mharrigan () airnote net