Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: rdist exploit [bsdi]

From: cks () hawkwind utcs toronto edu (Chris Siebenmann)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 18:09:52 -0400

 The real way to fix this hole in rdist is to run a version of rdist
that is not setuid root. Patching the source and leaving rdist setuid
root is just a bandaid until the next exploit is found.

 The only reason rdist is setuid root is so it can use rcmd(); it is
easy to write a replacement for rcmd() that forks rsh. I did this and
announced it back in November of 1991, when the first rdist security
hole was announced, and you can get the code from ftp.sys.utoronto.ca
as /pub/rdist.tar.gz. Versions of rdist 6 have come non-setuid for some
time, after John DiMarco took my change and integrated it.

 I find rdist's continuing setuid state (and the resulting security
exposures that turn up) a stunning testimony to just how much vendors
really care about Unix security.

--
                "there used to be two moons
                 then one of them