Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Read only devices (Re: BoS: amodload.tar.gz - ...)

From: petroca () acasun eckerd edu (Chris A. Petro)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 16:48:07 -0400

This opens up new avenues of attack. (the server may now be
suseptible to attacks from the inside. )
A attacking system could answer NFS reads with its own
data. Not a trivial attack, but I did read about it being done.  If the
hardened server is serving as a firewall platform it may not be able
to trust *either* side.

I have source for something similar that spoofs yp passwd (or any NIS map)
entries.  Nifty.  I'm sure it could be modified quite easily.  If anyone
is interested, I'll hunt it down and post it (this is bugtraq, after all).
I found it on the web somewhere, so it's not like it isn't already
available.

I haven't tried it, but the author seems quite knowledgable, so I imagine
that it works :^)

Christopher Petro  |          -- Tampa Bay Media & Data Services --
813-547-2278       | * Complete hardware, software and networking solutions,
P.O. Box 2178      |   including integration of technologies (eg., video or
Pinellas Park, FL  |   telephony and computers) and custom software
   34664-2178      | * Professional audio, video and lighting systems