Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: portmapper dangers

From: proff () suburbia net (Julian Assange)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 05:51:59 +1000

The dangers, according to the code changes I saw, are that the
portmapper will accept set and unset requests from other than the local
machine, and that it will accept set and unset requests for reserved
ports from clients not themselves running on reserved ports.  I'm sure
most readers of bugtraq will immediately see the dangers inherent in
these lacks of checking.  (The code I saw counts port 2049, the default
NFS port, as reserved even though it is not in the reserved port space.
I suppose one could argue whether this should be done.)

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu

Isn't this rather old hat?

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons