Bugtraq mailing list archives

information on syslog bug wanted

From: antitrck () sbox tu-graz ac at (ALEXANDER SCHUETZ)
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 11:40:51 +0200

Hi over there!

I am the guy who reassembled the linux splitvt bug and posted the source
of the ASM code here a while ago.

I found out that the same ASM code and a single call to the SYSLOG kernel
causes me a shell on my April/95 distribution of linux (I use the german
s.u.s.e. cdrom distribution).

Naturally, this alerted me and I guess I hafta update my linux version
especially the librarys... anyway, what I could NOT get from the 8lgm
advisory is a clue what is being send over a sendmail connection in the
data of an email that is so errorneus that SYSLOG would report about the
mail, happily swallowing my asm string.

Any ideas what to send via email to make syslog report about that email?
I am clueless. :)

And yes, I am willing to post my asm code that causes a shell on an old
linux that it shouldnt. Just ask.