Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [linux-security] Things NOT to put in root's crontab [via

From: gdonl () gv ssi1 com (Don Lewis)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 15:15:54 -0700

On May 23,  9:03pm, Squidge wrote:
} Subject: Re: [linux-security] Things NOT to put in root's crontab [via LSM
} [Making large directories snipped]
} > Ie,  create a real path of a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/etc/passwd
} > Then create a path of      b/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/a/etc
}
} Beware. If you create these directories, then try to cd to the end, you
} will get logged out.
}
} I have just been experimenting with > 500 subdirectories, and repeatedly
} get logged out when cd'ing to the end.

I'd be willing to bet that you shell is trying to keep track of your
current directory and put it in $cwd or $PWD or something.  When you
cd into a deeply nested enough directory, it's probably running off
the end of some buffer and core dumping.  When that happens, it exits
just as if you had typed "exit", and you get logged off.

ob bugtrac:
        That you can cause this shell to core dump in this manner may
        be another exploitable bug.

                        ---  Truck