Bugtraq mailing list archives

Slow down TCP-connections using spoofed ICMP Source Quench?

From: flegel () lorraine ts rz tu-bs de (Ulrich Flegel)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 13:19:57 +0100

Happy people out there!

Have there ever been experiments published, trying to deliberately slow down
TCP-connections by sending spoofed ICMP Source Quench messages to the mainly
sending party?  (This is similar as destination unreachable attacks, but not
that drastic).

If  this  attack  would  be  possible  and  automated,  one  could slow down
connecteions  at will, harrassing people.  It's not really a D.O.S but funny
enough..  (like route's "sloth").

Request for comments....

                   Ulrich.

PS:  If there are publications about this sort of attack, please point me in
the  right  direction.   Otherwise  I'd appreciate your comments, whether is
attack would be applicable.

--