Bugtraq mailing list archives

Magic password of some linux-box(Hardware..)

From: paladin () intersys kaist ac kr (Seo Euiseong)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 12:33:33 +0900

In recent, there are lots of host runs Linux, FreeBSD, etc...

Many administrarot believes that System Password that main board support is

fully secure to prevent the console hacker from cracking in front of the system

But, It is a very "Unsecure" thought.

A few days ago, my friend mistyped his console password, "condo,".

The BIOS vendor of his system was AWARD.

Then, The BIOS accept the password like a real password and booting,

gives the permission to set up the bios.

I thought that it was a bug of a version of award bios.

But, It's not true. Unfortunately almost versions of award bios has the

magic password "condo,"

I was very afraid of the increasing of console hacking on many linux box.

I wanna know the real fact of this magic password, and How can I disable
it.