Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BoS: Urgent !! Serious Linux Security Bug....

From: jared () wolverine hq cic net (Jared Mauch)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 02:12:17 -0400

Eli Burke graced my mailbox with this long sought knowledge:
Subject: Re: BoS: Urgent !! Serious Linux Security Bug....
My Friend tested in this machines:
      1) Reboot: OSF/1 3.2C, Solaris2.4 x86

        I tested this under OSF/1 3.2 and had no problems. Same for DUnix 4.0,
Ultrix 4.4, Windows NT 4.0 (server and workstation), and FreeBSD 2.1.5.
[snip]
        Wiping off the egg, I take back what I said. This successfully crashes
OSF/1 3.2 and DUnix 4.0 _when done from WinNT or Win95_. Thanks Bill. :)

I have tested this on Solaris2.5 x86, it made the machine drop off the
network, but not halt or reboot.

Solaris 2.5.1 for Sparc doesn't die, it just keeps running. (Whew!), I
also tested SunOS 4.1.4, that keeps going too.

Hopefully this problem is not as widespread as other bugs (Such as
syslog, etc).

        - Jared