Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Reachable addresses on the net (was SYN floods)

From: mouse () Holo Rodents Montreal QC CA (der Mouse)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 06:45:11 -0400

As you can see, the address space is still quite sparse (less than 1
out of every 200 addresses is reachable in my test), with most being
inside the 127 net.

...and the 127-net addresses are all hitting your local loopback
anyway.  So the address space is even sparser than .5%.

You're also hitting a lot of unallocated address space - most of the
class A space, for example, is unallocated.  I'd be interested to see
this done with the addresses probed restricted to allocated space.  If
nothing else it'd give some idea just how wastefully address space is
currently being used.  Perhaps I'll even do it myself.

At least for the purpose of SYN flooding, the assumption that a
random address is unreachable is probably safe and probably quite
useful. Any local protection has to bear this in mind, and perhaps
keep a cache of known good addresses handy.

I'm not quite sure what such a cache would be good for.

If it's in US-ASCII, why BASE64 it?  Not that it matters; I just find
it curious.

                                        der Mouse

                               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca
                     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D