Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Digital UNIX/Irix mesg problem

From: jes () GROVE UFL EDU (John Sheehy)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 18:35:04 -0400

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Tom Leffingwell wrote:

|         This is rather stupid and not much of a bug, but it shouldn't
| happen.  Basically, the permissions on your tty are set correctly, with
| messages on, during login.  If you turn them off, and then turn them back
| on, your tty becomes world writable.  (Actually, you don't have to turn
| them off, mesg y automatically sets permissions that way).  I don't
| remember that being that way in Digital UNIX 3, but I can't think of a box
[...]

On Digital Unix 3.2D-1:

uname -a
OSF1 hostname V3.2 41 alpha

ls -l /dev/ttyq5
crw--w----   2 jes      terminal   6, 21 Apr 29 18:23 /dev/ttyq5

mesg n

ls -l /dev/ttyq5
crw-------   2 jes      terminal   6, 21 Apr 29 18:23 /dev/ttyq5

mesg y

ls -l /dev/ttyq5
crw--w--w-   2 jes      terminal   6, 21 Apr 29 18:23 /dev/ttyq5

On Diigital Unix 3.2G:
# uname -a
OSF1 ns V3.2 62 alpha

# ls -l `tty`
crw--w----   1 root     terminal   5,  5 Apr 29 18:32 /dev/tty07
# mesg n
# ls -l `tty`
crw-------   1 root     terminal   5,  5 Apr 29 18:32 /dev/tty07
# mesg y
# ls -l `tty`
crw--w--w-   1 root     terminal   5,  5 Apr 29 18:32 /dev/tty07

This is rather annoying. Time to write a script to replace mesg.

-John Sheehy