Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netware + Win95 issue

From: melson () SCNC HOLT K12 MI US (Paul Melson)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 13:56:34 -0400

Hi

There seems to be serious security flaw in win95 dealing with novell
netware passwords. It's trivial to find netware password in win95
swap file by just scanning the hard disk for USERNAME (with some disk
editor) The only solution I have found is to disable virtual memory,
but this is not a SOLUTION, because lot of programs just do not work
without it...

btw. I'm talking about MS netware client (not aware if this flaw is
present in Novell client32)

        By default, this problem is also present in the latest
        (July 96) release of NetWare Client32 for Windows 95.

        It can be disabled by going into the Network control
        panel item, opening the "Novell NetWare Client 32
        Properties" dialogue, and disabling the "Cache NetWare
        Password" option on the "Advanced Options" page.

Paul

--
                                                        melson () holt k12 mi us