Bugtraq mailing list archives

Buglet in Bind 4.9.5

From: alan () MANAWATU GEN NZ (Alan Brown)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:36:20 +1200

I just got tripped up by this. I wonder how it's managed to be undetected
for so long....

If an A record is assigned with leading zeros to pad out the number and
make it slightly easier to throw through sort, the assigned number goes
wonky.

Eg.

fubar IN A 202.50.64.125 = 202.50.64.125

fubar IN A 202.050.64.125 = 202.40.52.125

fubar IN A 1.2.3.4 = 1.2.3.4

fubar IN A 001.002.003.004 = 1.2.3.4

As can be seen, it only happens with one padding 0.

If there are 2 it's fine and (I assume) that's why it's not been notified
up till now.

Security implications?

I use static assignments for my dialin users and they were setting off
stacks of alarms as they accessed the pop port until I realised what'd
happend and back out the changes.

The other problem was that IPs which had been locked from getting offsite
may have been able to get out, but also they were so whacked out that
nothing was coming back. I assume that someone else in the 202.40.5? block
was seeing sporadic bogus replies and may have had alarms tripped too.

AB