Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [NTSEC] Re: @LERT - NT security flaw announcement

From: colins () MICROSOFT COM (Colin Surprenant)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:50:11 -0700

The first thing to do is always to unbind NETBIOS from the interface
connected on the Internet (as Aleph One noted in the "BUILT-IN ANONYMOUS
USER BACK DOOR" message). NETBIOS is usually NOT needed for web or ftp
servers.

A lot of security holes can be nailed down - and specifically this one -
by unbinding NETBIOS. This is of course not always a viable solution.

Colin Surprenant - colins () microsoft com
SOFTIMAGE|IS  Microsoft ITG