Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More ssh fun (sshd this time)

From: ccraig () CC GATECH EDU (Christopher Craig)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:48:35 -0400

Included From: Solar Designer <solar () FALSE COM>:

+   if (port > 65535)
+     packet_disconnect("Requested port is %d is invalid",port);

This still doesn't fix the problem since port is defined as a signed int,
and negative values will pass your check. Of course, their lower 16 bits
may represent a privileged port number.

The lines directly after this in the code are

    if (port < 1024 && !is_root)
      packet_disconnect("Requested forwarding of port %d but user is not root.",

It looks like that should catch negative (as well as privileged)
port numbers, so I don't think the patch really has to fix that
problem at all.

--
Christopher Craig (ccraig () cc gatech edu)
"You could shoot Microsoft Office off the planet and this country would