Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: security hole in mget (in ftp client)

From: mouse () RODENTS MONTREAL QC CA (der Mouse)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:55:27 -0400

On most Unix platforms, when an ftp client processes an mget command,
it does not check [...for evilness like:]  In particular, a malicious
ftp server's NLST response might include lines such as "../.forward",

Perhaps the easiest solution is to fix the ftp client to ignore lines
in an NLST response that include a '/' character.

I rather dislike this.  It's too useful to "mget */*.??" and the like.

I'd rather see it refuse, or at least confirm, paths beginning with
"../" or including "/../".  One could argue the client should accept a
leading ../ when the user specified a leading ../, but that's probably
getting a little too frilly.  (Of course, this should all be
configurable off, but it also should default on.)

                                        der Mouse

                               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca