Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Faking logout with XTACACS

From: evyncke () CISCO COM (Eric Vyncke)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 13:47:14 +0100

More comments in-line...

At 11:23 23/12/97 PST, Coaxial Karma wrote:
Hi,

I dunno if what follows has already been posted or not... Sorry if it
has
been.

I recently discovered that when a Terminal Server (TS) was using XTACACS
as authentication protocol, it was possible to make the XTACACS server
believes that you've disconnected.

In order to exploit this, you only have to send an xlogout request to
the
XTACACS server claiming to be from the TS.  Here is an example:

1) please note my affiliation to assert my bias ;-)

2) you should really neither use the old TACACS nor XTACACS but rather
RADIUS or TACACS+:
        - they are available in free source code in C
        - they protect/authenticate the packets by a shared secret
          between the Access Control Server and the Access Router/Firewall
          (Radius encrypts only the password so have less confidentiality
          that TACACS+ which encrypts almost everything)
        - Radius and TACACS+ are widely supported

Best regards

-eric

Eric Vyncke
Technical Consultant               Cisco Systems Belgium SA/NV
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke () cisco com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458