Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Oddities in RH 5.0

From: chris () UK LOGICS COM (Chris Bond)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 19:50:08 +0000

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Tres Melton wrote:

I had a problem with the shadow suite putting an '!' for a non-password
somewhere before and had to patch the source to make it use an '*'
instead.  It was in an old Slackware release.  I haven't had the time to
investigate this yet.  I don't understand why the shadow suite uses an '*'
for accounts with non-passwords when it converts regular /etc/passwd files
and uses an '!' for all new non-passwords.  A feature maybe?  I don't even
know if this is the problem.

This is a not a security issue for here, you should to subscribe to the
mailing lists on redhat.com.  The fix is edit /etc/pam.d/passwd to:

password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_authtok shadow md5 nullok

Regards,
Chris Bond.
--
  Regards, From Chris.

  --==== SysOp of Logics BBS ====--        irc Nickname: |Fingers|
         Chris () uk logics com               Tel:  +44 (0) 1432 370535
        ---================---             Data: +44 (0) 1432 278319
      http://www.uk.logics.com/            Pager:+44 (0) 1523 459522
         or fingers () bofh co uk

...Software is like sex. It's better when it's free...