Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Patches for 2.1.6-RELEASE locale stuff...

From: wpilorz () CELEBRIS BDK LUBLIN PL (Wojtek Pilorz)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:49:11 +0100

Hi,

I believe that your patches have still some security problems,
as you ignore return value from snprintf.
Please find a few lines from FreeBSD snprintf man page:
     int
     snprintf(char *str, size_t size, const char *format, ...)
[...]
     Snprintf() and vsnprintf() will write at most size-1 of the
     characters printed into the output string (the size'th character then
     gets the terminating `\0'); if the return value is greater than or equal
     to the size argument, the string was too short and some of the printed
     characters were discarded.  Sprintf() and vsprintf() effectively assume
     an infinite size.

The effect might be that the attacker could prepare a long path
in PATH_LOCALE before executing a SUID program which would
cause arbitrary file on the system to be read
(e.g. export PATH_LOCALE="/home/evil/111111111/222222222/33333333\
/XXXXXX/../../../../../home/manager/.ssh/identity", where XXXXXX is similar to the
surrounding elements)
by the startup code;
If then the attacker would be able to create a core dump ...

Anyway , you might want to look at FreeBSD-current code, where
this problem seems to be solved (in a slightly different way.

Regards,

Wojtek Pilorz
Wojtek.Pilorz () bdk lublin pl