Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [linux-security] Re: Linux virus

From: fuego+ () CMU EDU (Leejay Wu)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:48:49 -0500

Excerpts from internet.computing.linux-security: 5-Feb-97
[linux-security] Re: Linux .. by Jim Dennis () starshine org
Today I became infected with the bliss virus, any info on this would be
appreciated!  How do I scan for files infected and is it possible to
remove it?  I first noticed the infection when running a program (not as
root) messages flashed on the screen about transversing directories and
such.  The program (gimp) had been working fine since I downloaded the
binary for gimp from their main site.  The gimp people told me they have
not been receiving complaints their binaries are infected, so something
else must be the source.

Memory plus a Dejanews search reveals seven posts last fall that were
crossposted to... alt.comp.virus, comp.os.linux.misc, and comp.security.unix.
(dejanews filter:
    newsgroups:    comp.os.linux.*
    subject:       bliss
)

-- The original post was a forgery with the subject "oops, I leaked an
    alpha copy of Bliss", crossposed to comp.os.linux.misc, *alt.comp.virus*,
    and comp.security.unix ..., posted Sep. 29, 1996, with these headers as
    archived by dejanews: