Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD,rlogin and coredumps.

From: adrian () SKYWALKER ACEONLINE COM AU (Adrian Chadd)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 16:52:42 +0800

I also tried this on a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box, and it did the same thing. I
wonder if there is a way to make a core dump only readable by root, and why
this isn't the default?

   FreeBSD 2.1.6 and later versions will not dump a core file if the process
is setuid/setgid.

True - I couldn't do it on my 2.1.6 box. But I can do it on the latest
release of 2.2-GAMMA, however I'm assuming its been enabled for development.

Also - whenever I've done it, I've only been able to read my password
though strings, I couldn't see any other encrypted strings anywhere.

Any comments?

Adrian Chadd
<adrian () psinet net au>