Bugtraq mailing list archives

Windows95, w 2 network cards and Internal networks causing unre

From: syousif () arn net (Sami A. Yousif)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:39:46 -0600

I have just noticed something on one of the networks that I work
with, and was wondering if this is "old news", or just some quirk or
can someone else verify this:  (I know its not a unix item, but since
it affects a network and may affect unix machines....)

Background:
Windows 95 machines with at least 2 network interfaces.

A machine that has an interface  connection on network A (using the
192.168.x.y ron routable range), and a connection on network B
(standard class C address, world routable). Windows 95 NOT set to
route (ie, the registry item not modified).

Here comes the strange behavior:
A machine on the internet tries to connect to the windows95 machine
on the class C address. The windows 95 machine responds that its
address is the 192.168 address (which of course can not be "called
back") instead of the "legal" class C address

The strange observation (observed using both ethload in dos, and
trafshow on linux) is that when the machine being called tries to
"call back" it causes a mini ICMP broadcast storm. Some clients try
to connect back via ICMPs with a return address of the 192.168
network.

Please note that this has been observed with at least five clients
that react the same way (so it is not reserved to just one client
being "buggy" but seems to be a general windows95 behavior).

I have checked all the network settings on the windows95 machines to
make sure that the TCPIP settings for each card were set up
correctly.

(on another note, the same thing happens when a computer has just an
internal network, and a dialup networking connection. Windows 95
reports that its address is the 192.168 address with similar
reactions as above)

--
http://users.arn.net/~syousif
mailto:syousif () arn net