Bugtraq mailing list archives

Ingreslock Misconfiguration?

From: khelbin () CONNIX COM (Khelbin Sunvold)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:49:45 -0500

Just fooling around the other day on a box running ingres and i tried
telneting to port 1524 (ingreslock) and was surprised to be dropped into a
root shell.

$ telnet <hostname> 1524
Trying XXX.XXX.XXX.XX...
Connected to <hostname>.
Escape character is '^]'.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

The shell did not recognize many commands in a traditional manner.  For
instance, typing "ls" gave "command not found" and "ls -l" gave the normal
error message that ls would give if an incorrent flag was given.

"ls -l *" did work and some other commands also worked if given all the
possible arguments but only in the current working space... really
couldn't do much still.  Echoing all the ENV variables showed that they
were correctly set.

After a while, I typed "ls -l &" on accident instead of "ls -l *" and it
worked fine.  Every command could be run as root so long as i ran it in
the background.

If this is extremely outdated or just a pathetic job on the part of a
certain sysadmin, reply/flame me, not the list.

 -khelbin / 9x
 email: khelbin () connix com