Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [ADVISORY] 4.4BSD Securelevels

From: tqbf () ENTERACT COM (Thomas H. Ptacek)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 18:10:40 -0500

to point out that this change is insufficient, in that it does not
protect writes to the init process's registers.  This is rather easy

Mr. Hannum, after reading your code, I cannot see how this is the case.

Our patch disallows any write access to any procfs file associated with
PID 1 in securelevels above 0. Your patch disallows write access
specifically to regs, floating point regs, and memory - nothing else.

Could you be more specific as to (exactly) how our patch is inadequate?

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf () enteract com]
"If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"