Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: rshd gives away usernames

From: eric () AIMNET NET (Eric)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:59:40 -0700

Well sendmail has always done the more or less the same thing.

say I telnetted to port 25 of some.mailhost.com

220 some.mailhost.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.5/8.7.1; Fri, 13 Jun 1997
10:56:20 -0700 (PDT)

HELO A
250 some.mailhost.com Hello userid () some mailor com [1.2.3.4], pleased to
meet you

MAIL FROM:me
250 me... Sender ok

RCPT TO:nosuchguy
550 nosuchguy... User unknown

RCPT TO:root
250 root... Recipient ok

So how would you propose that get fixed?  Patch up sendmail so people
don't know if they mailed the wrong address?

---
Eric Kmetz                             Phone - 408/567.3800
Systems Programmer                    E-Mail - eric () aimnet net
Aimnet Corporation