Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netscape Exploit... with technical details.

From: phear () OUTLAWLABS COM NO SPAM (Phear)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:14:38 -0700

Edwin Li-Kai Liu wrote:

Rusty Conover wrote:

In my method JavaScript would have to be used to automatically
submit
HTML Form to the server.  In these forms a page writer could have
already coded the file name into the source document, such as
"autoexec.bat".  When the browser loads the page off of the server,
it

submits the form which transmits the file to the server via the
HTTP-File upload procedure.  The SERVER now has the file the author
wanted.  To fool the user, the CGI program sends the location of the

real web page to the client, and the client doesn't know otherwise.

This method would require the files to be small or else the user
will
notice this is taking a long time to load the page over a modem.
But
the potential for this exploit to be used over faster transmission
lines
is greater.

To have a solution to this problem would be a warning dialog box,
telling the user that they are transmitting a file not just a
regular
HTTP form.  I have not written a single line of code exploiting this

potential vulnerability,  I might get around to it if I have time.

Please note:  I sent this original message 1 day (June 12) before to

Netscape and now they confirm that my hypothesis was correct on the
http://home.netscape.com/misc/security_update.html

Yes, this is absolutely correct. You have proved my points also.
Please
see my message on netscape.security newsgroup, titled "Re: Security
BUG".

I have then post the same message to other newsgroups one day after,
which is today. I want public to know the truth, instead of being
panic.
The following is the original message.

<snip>

Well, I would be MORE than excited to see some code for this.  When I
saw the story on CNN, I immediately
went to work and tried to duplicate it.  The only thing I could think of
that would allow the retrieval of files was the
<INPUT TYPE="File"> form element, which sends the file as ENCTYPE
multipart/form-data.  I wrote a little
shell script to display everything that the form sent, and I wrote the
web page, with three javascript functions.  One
to load up the File box with the filename, one to press the submit
button, and a function to be called by the body onload event.

It's a great idea, but I think Netscape has already thought of it
because every attempt to load the file box programmatically
resulted in a javascript error pointing out that the File input type was
READ-ONLY.  I even made it a textbox first,
and then tried to change the type after loading the filename:
    document.form.textbox.value="c:\windows\someone.pwl"
    document.form.textbox.type="file"

And it still doesn't work.  So, while this seems to be the only place I
can think of for the bug, all attempts at exploiting
it have failed.  Unless you can get around the read-only state of the
file input box, I don't know how it can work.

Anyway, my two cents..

phear