Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bug in connect() ?

From: hofmann () WPAX01 PHYSIK UNI-WUERZBURG DE (Frank Hofmann)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 20:14:33 +0100

I've done some tests with the connect example on HP/UX 10.01.
The original first connected to port 23, shut it down and then connected
to port 24. I found out only the port number the first connect is made to
decides whether the system crashes or not; the second connect is required
to trigger the crash, but the port connected to is unimportant. So the
sequence
        connect XX -> shutdown XX,2 -> connect ??
crashes my HP/UX 10.01 box for XX out of { 21, 23, 79, 111, 113, 513, 514,
6000 }, but not other XX I've tried (anything from 1-120, 500-530 and some
arbitrary other values). I haven't got running services on every port
I've tested - can't say if that's important at the moment.

I also can add HP/UX 10.20 to the list of affected systems (only tested
the original 23-24 sequence).

I'm gonna try some recent HP patches as I had one report that HP/UX 9.05
is vulnerable and one that it is not. Perhaps it's fixed and I'm missing
the patch.

Bye,
Frank Hofmann