Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IBM-ERS Security Vulnerability Alert: The AIX ftp client

From: lutz () TARANIS IKS-JENA DE (Lutz Donnerhacke)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 08:20:05 GMT

* af () C4C COM wrote:
It works on our Linux slackware as well.  I suspect most ftp
clients are susceptible to this "problem."

Tested it with
NcFTP 2.4.2:
  No security problem, the file "|sh" does exists afterwards.
netkit-ftp-0.10:
  Problem occurs as described.
Navigator/Communicator:
  No security problem, the content of the file is displayed.

I also wonder about IBM's answer:
SOLUTION:         Remove the setuid bit from the "ftp" command.

On our 4.2.1, ftp will not run if it is not suid.
Didn't somebody test this?

Yep. ftp does not need suid:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root  /bin/ftp*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root  /usr/bin/ncftp*

DFN-CERT corrected the solution of IBM. It was a false statment according to
them.